Shawn Bowen's Fund

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Eat That Frog

Alrighty, folks. What are we up to? Post #3? After a 12-hour day at work, I would like to focus today on time management (or my lack thereof).

Ever feel like you are going a bazillion miles a minute? Ever feel like you have been thrown in deep water without a second to swim up to the surface to take a quick breath? Ever want to just throw your hands up and say "I GIVE UP!!!"? Well, friends, I hear ya!

I've had a busy past couple of days at work, well, actually a busy past couple of years. My job is fantastic, and I love the work I do, where I work, and who I work with. I don't think I'm so naive to say that I'm a lifer, but I certainly see myself at Heartland for the next 10 years or so. I look forward to getting up and heading to work. My team is absolutely amazing, and I am so proud that I am associated with such fine folks. I think it's probably rare to find people at my age who enjoy their careers as much as I do.

By the time I'm home from work, I barely have enough time to cook dinner/eat, help Lauren with homework, bathe the kids, and put them to bed. It's amazing how I find time to post on here, check my MySpace, send a few hotboxes on LouMojo, check my personal e-mail, check my work e-mail, and send text messages. I avoid Yahoo Messenger like the plague, because it seems to suck up all of my free time when I do login. Gosh, I wish I wasn't so popular. ;)

I read a book a few months back regarding time management called, "Eat That Frog". The premise of the book was that we are faced with a bunch of ugly frogs every day. Some small, some huge. It's best just to tackle the biggest frog, and get that one out of the way, and then focus of the little stuff. E-mail is probably my biggest time drain at work. I get approximately 250 e-mails/day, and most of them require research or some gifted, inspired, politically correct response. I wish I didn't have to spend so much time sugar coating and making recipients feel warm and fuzzy, but that's the name of the game sometimes. Today, I stayed late just to put a dent in my e-mails, but I didn't even get half of what I wanted to get accomplished.

Rob (the soon to be ex-husband) always said that work was my life. I was quick to correct him that in reality, my kids were my life, and work was just a way to buy them all of the things I wanted them to have. He always was a tightwad. My career was a contributing factor to the demise of my marriage, but not in a negative way as you might have suspected. By growing in my career at HPS, I was able to become self-sufficient. I can now provide for my kids on my own, while still maintaining a very comfortable lifestyle without a second income.

So, thank you to HPS for paying me, and thank you to me for working my butt off. And thank you to all of the readers who have just read my never ending ramblings. And thank you to Chinatown Buffet for this wonderful chicken fried rice I have consumed while writing this post. Now, where is that fortune cookie?

Peace and love.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

You're a dork :) What about the Crab Rangoo YUMMY YUMMY!!!!